Tuesday

Kayla and Chloe




This is going back a few years but this is/was a very significant part of my life so I wanted to share. I found out I was pregnant on Christmas eve, 2004. After a few prenatel visits it was time for my ultrasound. April 6th, 2005, 19 weeks pregnant, I arrive at the office, along with my husband, my mom and my fil. I'm just getting situated on the table and the ultrasound tech says, okay there's baby a and here's baby b. I say excuse me, what did you say. She's says you know you're having twins right. I said uh no, you must be joking. She say we don't joke about that. OMG, I didn't know whether to laugh or cry, so I did both. I thought Shawn was going to hit the floor. At this point she tells us they are identical since there is only one placenta. Anyway proceeding thru the ultrasound as I'm sitting there blissfully ignorant the tech says she can't find a membrane separating the twins. Meanwhile, I didn't even know there should be a membrane. I ask what if there is no membrane, what happens. She says there is a chance of cord entaglement and compression. What? So my blissful ignorance quickly turns to fear of what this all means. She did ask if we wanted to know the sex. I said they are girls. She said yes. Not sure how I knew, gut feeling I guess. I'm now referred to a high risk doctor who specializes in this diagnosis, which is monoamniotic/monochorionic twins. I quickly start researching this issue and luckily came across the monoamniotic.org support group website. I couldn't even believe there was a website dedicated to this type of twins. That is when I knew this was rare and serious, but there were people out there that have been there and that understand. I realized I needed a plan. With my doctor we decided I would have non-stress tests daily starting at 24weeks, then be admitted to the hospital to more intense monitoring. This monitoring is to insure the twins are not in distress and if the cords do start to tangle and compress I would be at the hospital and they could take them immediately. Everything turned out wonderful after being in the hospital for 38days the girls were born at 32weeks 2days, Kayla Faith weighed 4 lbs and Chloe Grace weighed 3lbs 13oz. They stayed in the NICU for 2weeks then transitioned to the pediatric unit for 2weeks and were then able to come home.

No comments: